Athletes of the Week (Winter Update)
Six athletes earned Athlete of the Week honors in the week before Winter Break and in the two weeks since.
Athletes of the Week for Dec. 16 are Sofia Graziano ’20 (
Girls Basketball) and Cole Joseph ’23
- In the first two contests of the basketball season, Sofia scored 42 points had 18 rebounds and 5 steals. She currently leads the team in points and rebounds.
- In week one of the wrestling season Cole had four wins and took second place in his weight class at the very competitive Battle of Germantown Tournament
Athletes of the Week for Jan. 6 are Alex Grey ’20
(Track) and Brendan DiStefano ’22
- Alex stepped up in a big way, agreeing to try an event she had never attempted before in hopes of earning her team more points. Though she had never high jumped in competition, she was not only able to qualify for the high jump at the NYSAIS Championship, she placed first overall in a field of experienced high jumpers.
- At Ivy Meet #3 Brendan had a break out race, running a mile time of 4:40.02. This time was almost seven seconds faster than his previous personal best, placing him within a second of his teammate, Jonah Gorevic. This time established Brendan as one of the top runners in the Ivy League.
Athletes of the Week for Jan. 13 are Lara Schechter ’21 (Wrestling) and Jonah Gorevic ’21 (Track).
- Lara placed 3rd at Eastern States Wrestling Classic in upstate NY this past weekend, going 3-1 on the day (with 2 pins) beating girls from Townsend Harris, Herricks, and Seward Park.
- Jonah had one of the fastest races of his career on Monday at Ivy Meet #4. He placed first overall in the 1000m, defeating 39 other Ivy League runners. His closest competitor was over seven full seconds behind him. His performance earned him yet another school record with a time of 2:39.76.