Health Education Teacher
Hackley School seeks an experienced full-time Health Education Teacher for the 2023-2024 school year. This position will entail teaching Middle and Upper School Health classes.
The Health Education teacher reports to the Chair of Health Education as well as to the Director of the Middle School and Director of the Upper School.Specific Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive health curriculum that helps students develop positive attitudes towards health issues and promotes helpful decision-making, addressing topics including general wellness, stress reduction, nutrition, social media, mental health, substance abuse prevention, relationships, sexual health, sexual violence, consent, inclusivity, and diversity
- Responsibilities associated with that of a subject area teacher including lesson planning, development and assignment of student learning activities, student assessment, record keeping, grading, and grade reporting
- Effective collaboration and communication with students, parents, department chair, and other colleagues
- Other division-based responsibilities, such as advising students, as assigned by the division director(s)
- Knowledge of national and New York State standards for health education
- Ability to use and implement research and evidence-based practices in curriculum
- Ability to promote a healthy learning environment that motivates and inspires students
- to participate and learn new skills
- A willingness to employ a range of teaching methods and to hone them through
- professional development and reflection
- Knowledge of child development and classroom management techniques
- Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Education from an accredited college or university (Master’s degree preferred)
- At least 3 years of experience in teaching Health Education in middle and/or upper school
Candidates should understand and promote the academic, social, and emotional growth of students. An understanding of the needs of Middle and Upper School aged students and an ability to find joy in working with those ages are key, as is a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Candidates should welcome the opportunity to collaborate with peers in Physical Education, Health Education and other departments. Hackley also seeks candidates who are committed to their own professional growth and development, the ability to act with wisdom and a sense of humor. Candidates should also contribute to the extracurricular life of the school. Candidates with an interest in coaching at Hackley are preferred.Salary and Benefits:
Compensation and benefits for this 10-month faculty position are competitive, based on qualifications and experience, and may include housing and tuition remission.
Interested candidates can complete the application here
.About Hackley School
Hackley School is a nonsectarian coeducational K-12 independent school located in Tarrytown, NY, intentionally committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community. A Hackley education embraces both the open exchange of ideas and learning from varying perspectives. We challenge and support our students to grow in character and scholarship, transcend individual achievement, and redefine accomplishment.
Founded as a boarding school in 1899, Hackley enrolls approximately 840 students, including about 30 five-day boarding students in grades 9 -12. Students experience joy in the classroom and make life-long connections with each other and with our dedicated faculty, 40% of whom reside on campus. Robust extracurricular programming on our 285-acre campus creates unique opportunities for each student to learn and grow beyond the boundaries of the school day. Hackley graduates have the knowledge and confidence to pursue their passions and the drive to make a difference. Learn more about Hackley at www.hackleyschool.org